Posted by LawtonMD on July 2, 2017
With the popularity of cosmetic procedures continuing to grow, more and more providers seem to be offering them. However, not everyone has the necessary expertise and qualifications to perform these delicate procedures correctly — and one survey from 2014 found that 25% of people considering cosmetic surgery didn’t know whether their surgeon was qualified.
That’s a serious issue for patients who are counting on their provider to help improve their confidence and self-image.
Anyone who is considering a cosmetic procedure (or any medical procedure, for that matter), should take the time to learn more about who will be performing that procedure.
For example, Newport Beach plastic surgeon Dr. Tenley Lawton is board-certified, and has years of experience working with patients — both women and men — to help them reach their goals. She’s happy to discuss her credentials and approach with any potential patient.
No matter which providers you’re considering for your procedure, Dr. Lawton recommends following this advice from the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery to evaluate them:
- Check their credentials. And you don’t have to take the provider’s word for it, either. You can verify licenses, certifications and more quite easily through online resources.
- Ask about experience. How often does the provider perform the procedure you’re seeking? Do they have training and/or certifications specific to the procedure?
- Ask other people. If possible, talk to other patients to get their thoughts — particularly patients you find independently, rather than any offered as referrals from the provider.
- Make sure you’re comfortable. No matter how good a provider’s results look, if you aren’t at ease with them (or the staff, or the facility), they probably aren’t a good fit for you.
- Always consider your options. You can consult with multiple providers to find the one that’s best for your situation. Don’t hesitate to shop around.
Dr. Lawton works with patients from throughout Orange County, and she encourages all of her patients to ask questions about her qualifications, her experience and the procedure they’re considering. Don’t settle for a provider who pressures you or makes you feel uncomfortable. Contact Dr. Lawton for your consultation today.