Posted by LawtonMD on August 15, 2017
Cosmetic procedures are not something exclusively for women — increasingly, men are seeking to boost their self-image and enhance their appearance with plastic surgery and other treatments. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, males accounted for 8% of all cosmetic procedures in 2016.
For both men and women, Newport Beach plastic surgeon Dr. Tenley Lawton carefully considers each patient’s situation and goals before recommending the best course of action. Below are the five most popular cosmetic surgeries for men, according to the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery — all of which are offered by Dr. Lawton.
- Nose reshaping: A rhinoplasty or a “nose job” is an option if you want to improve your appearance, reset your nose after an injury or accident, or even improve your breathing. This surgery involves either internal or external incisions and usually lasts one to three hours, depending on the extent of the requested change.
- Eyelid surgery: The process of removing excess skin or tissue from around the eyes is called blepharoplasty, or an eyelid lift. Ideal candidates may have wrinkles or lines around their eyes, making them appear older than they are. In other cases, excess skin can obstruct one’s vision, or unwanted fat deposits around the eyes can cause a puffy appearance.
- Liposuction: Do you have love handles or a sagging abdomen that just won’t respond to diet and exercise? The best candidates for liposuction are patients at a healthy weight with firm, elastic skin who have excess fat in specific areas (e.g., neck, abdomen, back, legs, knees, arms or chin). In general, recovery time is about two weeks.
- Breast reduction: Enlarged male breasts, also known as gynecomastia, is a more common condition than one may think. It can be addressed via liposuction or cutting out extra tissue. This procedure typically lasts two hours; patients can expect to return to work within a week. The results can include a firmer, flatter chest, and increased confidence.
- Facelift: Your face changes with time, gravity, sun exposure, and age — and genetics play a big part, too. This procedure helps you achieve a more natural, expressive, and youthful look through incisions allowing for the removal of fatty tissue. Then, skin on the face and neck is tightened and re-draped, all of which take approximately three to four hours. Most daily activities can resume in three weeks.
Board-certified and highly experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Lawton is renowned for her ability to achieve natural-looking results for her patients. Contact her today for a consultation to learn more about treatments to enhance your self-esteem.