Posted by LawtonMD on November 16, 2011
As we head into the holiday heavy fall and winter, oftentimes we find ourselves overindulging in the sweets of the season. With Halloween candy, Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner, over-eating seems to have become the norm in the USA, and let’s be honest, we work hard all year and deserve a break! The only problem is this tends to lead to weight gain throughout this season. One of the best ways to combat this is to walk. Personally, I find walking on a treadmill to be quite boring, but being a plastic surgeon in Orange County’s Newport Beach, there are plenty of places to take a hearty stroll whether it be along the bike path ranging from Balboa to Huntington Beach, or the Back Bay.
There are quite a few benefits to walking as opposed to running. Running can be daunting and seem overwhelming which makes you less likely to begin in the first place. Walking, however, is something that we do every day and does not require as much of a difference between our everyday lives. There are a few tips and tricks to help with this endeavor:
- The Right Shoes – The proper footwear is essential as uncomfortable shoes that keep your feet out alignment can cause all sorts of foot, knee and even back problems.
- Stretch – Even though you are only walking and it doesn’t seem like you would need to stretch, stretching before and after you walk is important to avoid injury and increase flexibility.
- Elevate Your Heart Rate – When walking, you don’t want to walk at your normal pace. Pick it up just a bit so that your heart rate can increase which increases the calories burned and works out your heart.
- Cool Down – It’s important, in any exercise regiment, to cool down upon completion. This reduces stress on your heart and your muscles.
- Drink Lots of Water – Drinking water is incredibly important as it keeps you hydrated and can reduce soreness
With these tips, you can feel prepared for the impending holidays and not feel as guilty when you ask for that extra piece of pumpkin pie! Be sure to stop by the Lawton MD Facebook page and the Lawton MD website for more information regarding your next cosmetic surgery in Newport Beach and for more health and wellness information.