Patients with “dynamic wrinkles” — those that are caused by smiling, laughing, frowning and other facial movements — often choose Botox® injections to improve their appearance. In fact, this treatment is our most popular non-surgical procedure, in part because it’s quick (less than a half-hour), easy (no recovery time required) and effective (results last up to four months).
If you’re looking to gracefully minimize the effects of aging, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Tenley Lawton can help. She has extensive experience with Botox, which means you can be confident that your treatment will result in a softened, natural and refined appearance.
Because Botox works by blocking certain signals from nerves, however (the signals that cause muscles to contract), it’s not right for everyone. Here are some things to consider when you’re evaluating treatment options:
- If you are in good health, over the age of 18 and understand that continued injections are required to maintain results over time, Botox can be an excellent solution.
- Additionally, if you simply want to improve your appearance for a specific event and don’t mind a temporary solution, you should consider Botox.
- If you have a neuromuscular disease, such as ALS, an allergy to botulinum toxin or an allergy to human albumin, you should not be treated with Botox.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding — or are likely to become pregnant, Botox is not appropriate. Although it is not known whether Botox will harm an unborn baby or pass into breast milk, Dr. Lawton prefers to err on the side of safety.
- If you have been treated with a botulinum toxin product before and experienced side effects, be sure to let your doctor know.
- Finally, if you are looking for a more permanent solution and do not want continued treatments, other options (such as a facelift) might be more suitable for your situation.
The best way to learn if Botox is right for you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lawton. Whether you are looking to target a specific problem area, or have a range of issues you’d like to discuss, our team can create a plan to help you look your best.