Posted by LawtonMD on November 2, 2017
Microneedling has exploded in popularity over the past couple of years, and for good reason — when it’s performed by a skilled professional, the process can reduce the signs of aging, improve the appearance of scars and even tighten loose skin.
It’s often just as effective as laser treatments, according to a study in the journal Dermatologic Surgery, with the benefit of fewer side effects and less recovery time for patients. It isn’t just for the face, either; microneedling can be used all over the body, and for all skin types.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Tenley Lawton is proud to offer microneedling treatments with the SkinPen, a medical-grade, state-of-the-art device.
How it works
Microneedling uses tiny pins to cause controlled “micro-injuries,” which stimulate your body’s healing process. This results in collagen and elastin production, leading to the improved appearance of damaged or loose skin and tissue.
First, a topical anesthetic is applied so the patient feels comfortable. Typically, the pain is very minor — one study showed an average pain rating of a little more than 1 on a 1-10 scale. In most instances, the treatment takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how many areas are treated, how large those areas are, etc.
There is a little bit of blood, but they’re simply tiny dots in the treated areas. The risk of infection or scarring is minimal, and healing time is minimal as well — patients frequently have slight swelling and moderate redness for a few days afterward, but some are back to normal in as little as 24 hours!
For the best results, a few initial treatments (several weeks apart) may be necessary, with maintenance treatments once or twice a year thereafter.
Microneedling with the SkinPen is beneficial in a variety of ways:
- It can noticeably reduce wrinkling, lines, and crow’s feet, as well as tighten other loose skin around the body.
- It can improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks — one study in the Journal of Dermatological Treatment showed a 30%+ improvement in skin texture for patients with acne scars.
- Because the needle depth can be adjusted, the SkinPen can be used all over the body and tailored to each patient’s skin thickness.
- Microneedling does not increase pigment production, so even those sensitive to hyperpigmentation are good candidates for the SkinPen.
- It can help the topical products you use on your skin penetrate more effectively.
- Because it relies on the body’s healing processes, the results look natural.
If you’re considering micro needling in Newport Beach, or want to learn more about how it can help you rejuvenate your skin, contact Dr. Tenley Lawton for a consultation today.